Sunday, January 31, 2016

Interview with an Inspiring Educator- Sylvia Duckworth

   One of the wondrous effects of technology is that you come across inspiring Educators from all corners of the world and distance is nothing, when you are willing to cross all the borders and get in touch with them and learn from them. This has had the effect of magic on me. I am so honored to present to you an Inspiring Educator, whom I came across her amazing sketchnotes and felt the need to know her more. Hence, I contacted our guest Sylvia Duckworth and she welcomed the idea with a warm heart and a very prompt reply. I am very thankful for her kind heart and inspiration. No wonder great Educators behave likewise.



Here is the interview I conducted with this amazing Educator . 

1- So honored and glad to be interviewing you dear Sylvia. How do you introduce yourself to the ELT community in Tunisia and the world?


Hello Faten, I’m honoured that you asked me for this interview! I am a Canadian teacher and I teach French to grades 3 to 5 in an independent school for boys in Toronto. I am enamoured with sketchnoting because it is a quick, effective way to get ideas across. Most people seem to respond very positively to a visual way of conveying concepts.


2- You are well-known by your amazing and inspiring sketchnotes, how did you start making them? would you tell us the story behind this wondrous talent?


I started drawing just over a year ago, inspired by other great educational sketchnoters: Silvia Tolisano, Karen Bosch, Brad Ovenell-Carter, Rachel Smith, Rebeca Zuniga, Julia Forsythe.


3- Which tech tools do you advise teachers to try as beginners in sketchnoting?
ProCreate App is the best app out there for drawing on the iPad, and the Musemee Notier Stylus is the best stylus.


4- Have you ever presented a webinar about sketchnoting, would you provide us with the link for the recording?


Here is a tutorial in Google Slides, and here is a webinar. Here is a playlist of YouTube videos on sketchnoting.


5- Thank you so much for your inspiring sketchnotes. What would you like to add to my blog readers?


Try your hand at sketchnoting! It is fun and rewarding and your students will love it, too!

     Thank you so much dear Sylvia for your prompt reply and willingness to share your experience with us. You are such an inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Faten for a great interview with Sylvia Duckworth and a post full of excellent links on sketchnoting and more inspirational sketchnoters to follow. I'm a recent sketchnoter using Paper 53 and the 53 pencil and will be looking up all the links and ideas asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most welcome dear Fiona! It is my pleasure and honor to share these gems with you all!

    ReplyDelete